A listing of ‘little’ nuggets of wisdom I have gleaned over the years about this difficult subject.
They are not in any particular order.
1. Don’t use your optics. I have been known to forget the investment on the top of my gun due to pure excitement.
2. Drop the tin of bb’s in your backpack on a rock.
3. Leave your gun at camp. A note to the younger hunters out there. When you are sitting in camp and the ‘old’ guys send you to pick up another hunter. Pack YOUR gun even if you think it will only take a minute…the rest of this story is another post.
4. Eat mom’s chilli before you head out to the stand.
5. Concentrate on antler size. Those pre-shot antler point counts cost you.
6. Tweet or text “Something’s coming…”
7. Stay in your bunk – also known as a ‘Bunk Watch’
8. Hunt from a seated position with a good backrest on a sunny day.
9. Make fun of a ‘rookie’ before the next deer run.
10. Make your radio call sign ‘Sniper’.